Everyone wants to be successful in whatever they do. I don’t know of anyone who starts their day by saying, “How can I fail today?” Unfortunately, far too many start the day without asking, “How can I be successful today?”
More importantly, many of us start the day with the wrong mindset; they start out daily with a mindset that goes contrary to being a success. They go through the motions and in many cases, let the day’s events take control of them. Then, they do it all over again the very next day.
Wanting, wishing or hoping to be successful isn’t enough. To be a success, requires a “certain” mindset that results in your ability to take the “right” actions. Here are 5 ways to help you create your own success mindset:
- Successful people see problems as opportunities in disguise. They face them with a smile, focus and grit.
- Successful people just don’t willingly confront problems: they solve them. Not always by themselves, because they are not afraid to ask for help from others when needed. One more thing: not only do they solve their own problems, but they also see it as their role to help others solve their problems.
- Successful people see, understand and evaluate risk. They accept that “risk” comes with the territory. They manage risk so that it doesn’t turn into fear. They also do not let risk deter them from doing what they know is the right thing to do. They understand that “playing it safe” will derail them.
- Successful people are full time “learners”. They know that learning and enhancing their skills is what gives them a permanent competitive edge over others and the many challenges (problems) they deal with. They learn from most everything they do, including mistakes. In fact, they see mistakes as offering the best opportunities to learn.
- Successful people consistently deliver value in whatever they do for whomever they do it for. At the end of the day, they know that personal success can only be measured by the value you deliver to others.
Wait a minute? I just realized that there is one more characteristic people with a success mindset have – it’s a sense of humor. They have fun and want to share it with others. Plus, they know how to laugh at themselves.